Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rocket Tongue

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

Sometimes I think about these very words when I watch the news, go to work to hear gossip mixed with observing the idleness in other's work, then to sometimes be left with cleaning up the mess left by co-workers. (I'm not just refering to another shift.) Sometimes this offensive stress is tripled by the fact I am coming in on my fifth day and already very tired only to realize I will be working with fewer co-workers or less experienced co-workers. Then I come home with nothing left to give only to be confronted with the mess of idleness again. This is when I have to eat the inside of my jaw to prevent Rocket Tongue from presenting herself.
Oh, you have never heard of Rocket Tongue. Why she is my fleshly sin! She is quick to judge, short of temper, impatient, gossipy disgruntaled, edgy in action. She has eyes that cut through your soul chilling you to the bone. She is Judge Judy with a very bad disposition and bad hair day waiting for someone to do or say something dumb so she can lash them with her Rocket Tongue thus giving them no defense from the flying debri in the explosion. She will stand there panting watching you bleed. She is a bad as the very people with whom she becomes angry all because she takes this stress personally.
I try desperately hard to avoid this woman at all cost, but she still welds up inside me and tries to justify why I should become her once more. "These things will never change to your satisfaction," she says coaxing my eyes and ears. Unfortunately, she is right, but not to the point I should turn to her ways of handling the situation. She is of no comfort to me, but a hindrance to my relationship with God and others.
How I long to become a woman of gentle spirit like my friend and mentor, Gay. She is such a wonderful example of meekness and the fruit of the Spirit. When she speaks, even in rebuke, she yields fruit with a smile. She is the Proverbs 31 woman I cannot but dream of becoming. She would rebuke me for making that last statement for she would inform me God is not done with me yet and I should not limit myself in such a belief. Alas, she is able to speak to me in my heart without even knowing I have typed these words. And she is absolutely right!

Jehovah God,
I am thankful You are not through with me yet. I am so very thankful for Your Word taught through those You place before me as mentors of my faith in You. From my family, to friends, to church members, members of this community, and even those people at work, You use imperfect people to grow me to the person I want to be instead of living out the person I despise, O' Rocket Tongue herself, the very person I would prefer You to slay out of me so I can be more like Christ who draws all people to You. Don't just shut her up in me, but destroy her will to live in me. Cast her out in the name of Jesus! I hate her with a holy hate. I want to become that Proverbs 31 woman. I need Your help everyday to achieve this goal of a lifetime. Place Your Words always before me as though I am speaking to You instead of what and who triggers my stress, in Jesus' name and for His sake I make this committment. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment